http://runnersdiary.webs.com/AilesDeLAmourW.jpg

30.8.10

working out at work

I sit at a desk for eight hours a day. My bum loves it, the rest of me does not. Working in an office has its advantages. But it certainly has it's disadvantages.

Co workers bringing in tempting, mouthwatering donuts *drooling*, lack of movement, fast food restaurants flanking me from all sides. I feel like I am at the Alamo, surrounded on all sides and praying to throw the white flag into the air.

I have a few things I am going to start slowly implementing into my day to bring back some healthy to my slouchy day.

  • The first is something I have been doing for a while, but will continue on. I freeze my 32 oz Nalgene bottle with water and drink it throughout the day. It took a while for my body to adjust, but having done it for months now, it is like old hat.
  • Setting my Outlook alarm to go off every hour and at the very least getting up from my seat and taking a lap around the office. Also trying to stand at my desk more when taking phone calls and reading through emails. Get that blood a pumpin!
  • Getting an exercise ball just for sitting on during part or eventually all of the day. My posture is generally pretty good, but I notice that as I get tired during the day I start slouching and hunching over my desk a bit.
Nothing major right now, but something has to change. I put in all this effort to wake up before the birds and put in a run, and then laze around for a good chunk of the day. That cannot be healthy.

On a side note and totally unrelated to anything else, I want to get a swim workout in. Unfortunately my goggles are MIA. I either need to find them stat or need to invest in another pair. Cannot swim without them since I wear contacts and inevitably loose them when I am doing laps.

No comments:

Post a Comment